Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Home of My Own?
It is a home buyer education course that is available for self-study on the Web or can be taken by classes offered by the City of Las Cruces.
- How much does it cost to take the Home of My Own course?
There is no cost for using the program online or taking classes offered by the City of Las Cruces.
- How much time does it take to complete each class?
Classes will usually last about two or three hours.
- Do I have to enroll in the whole
program, or can I enroll in just the parts I think I
Unless a lender or special housing program requires you to take the entire program, you can enroll or use just the parts you want.
- Can I print anything that I see on the Web site?
Yes. The program is copyrighted but you can make a copy of anything you see for your own or family's personal use.
- How can I find out where and when classes will be held?
For information on when and where classes will be held contact either of these organizations.
YWCA Credit Counseling and Home Ownership Center
Mary Ann Quesada
1401 South Don Roser, Building A, Suite 1
Phone: (575) 532-1222
Tierra Del Sol Housing Corporation
1065 S. Main, Building D, Suite M
Phone: (575) 541-0477
- Who are the points-of-contact at the City of Las Cruces and New Mexico State University for the program?
The City's point of contact is Ms. Vera Zamora, Neighborhood Programs Coordinator, who can be reached at (575) 528-3194 or on email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are there other places where I can get answers to a few questions without taking the classes or reading through the Home of My Own Website?
Yes. The two easiest places to go are provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Try 100 Questions & Answers About Buying A New Home which is on the Web at http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/buying/buyhm.cfm
or try Common Questions from First-time Homebuyers located at http://www.hud.gov/buying/comq.cfm